This year Last year for geometry I had Ms. Snow, the best math teacher ever! She is from Minnesota and for her going away party she brought Hot Dish. For those of you who don’t know what it is it’s basically casserole; a genre of food, I might add, that I feel has been overlooked by many a vegan cookbook.
This recipe is based on this outline she gave me:
– Meat, crumbled
– Veggies like corn, beans etc…
– Cream of something soup
– Starch, like Tater tots, fries, chips etc…
– About 1lb of your favorite veggie crumbles.
– Small amount of oil for frying.
-1 onion, slightly larger than a tennis ball, chopped into 1/2” X 2″ strips.
– About 3 cups of green beans, canned, frozen, or fresh, french cut.
– About a 1/2lb of corn off the cob, canned, frozen, or fresh.
– 2 cups of your favorite vegan “Cream of ” soup.
– 1lb of processed potato product, tater tots, fries etc.
– Black pepper and garlic powder to taste.
-Baking dish/pan that can be used in the oven and on the stove. If you don’t have one just transfer it to a baking dish after everything is mixed but before you add the potatoes.
1) Fry Onions in the oil until soft. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Add veggie crumbles, season with pepper and garlic to taste. Cook for 1 min.
3) Add everything left, except the potato product of your choice, mix well.
4) Take off heat. Layer the potato product of your choice on top.
5) Bake for 45min or until lightly brown and bubbly. Eat!
Now that I’ve tackled Hot Dish, Lutfisk anyone?
P.S. I haven’t tried this with fresh veggies, if you do tell me how it goes.